Why Should We be Considering This Now?
While the short-term advantage of water reuse and resource recovery is conservation of water and energy, the long-term benefits are threefold: environmental protection, economic sustainability, and social sustainability.
- Reduce contamination to our water systems by decreasing water being taken and returned on a regular basis
- Decrease energy used to treat all water to an unnecessarily high standard
- Promote healthy aquatic ecosystems and reduce algal blooms and fish kills
- Recover wastewater resources, such as biogas, thermal heat and nutrients (phosphorus and nitrogen)
- Diversify the water services sector and build decentralized services when needed within growth areas
- Increase the availability of locally sourced resources
- Promote responsible use of renewable resources
- Build healthier communities with local recreational/food availability for future generations
- Develop water services resilient to demographic and climate changes